Sunday 17 October 2010

3:53 again

When I entered Abingdon (albeit late) I was thinking I might try for a PB, since it's notoriously a fast flat course. After being told Iwas 57th on the waiting list, I assumed I wouldn't get in, so was pleasantly surprised when my race number arrived a couple of weeks ago. But having finally had my poorly lungs diagnosed as a chest infection last week, I figured I wasn't going to push it after all.

There were loads of people I know there so it was always going to be a pleasant day out. I actually started off at 8 minute miling for a few miles, but then realised that, while my lungs feel like they're on the mend (a relief that the antibiotics seem to be kicking in at last), I just wasn't in the mood for a fast one. So I eased off and ran at a far more enjoyable jog for the rest of the course. (Final time was 3:53, which is the same as last week.)

There was a brilliant Fetchpoint, which we went through twice. I wasn't in Fetch colours today, but saw their balloons before being loudly cheered through by name. (One advantage of being current member of the month on Fetch is that they recognise me even in my Vegan club vest.) The course had some reallly cute villages, a couple of short stretches of trail (I missed nice long trail runs!) and some less attractive industrial estate sections. Fantastic marshaling though and a great atmosphere. I was super-proud of Heather for running a sub 3:30 and there were a lot of other excellent performances today too. I was very surprised to find Dick Kearn jogging along - a road marathon?

A very enjoyable one. A good thing too, as I'm not running an event at all for the next two weekends... will I remain sane?

No comments:

Post a Comment