Sunday 3 January 2010

3 days into the year? Time for a marathon!

The 100 Club AGM Handicap Marathon follows a 5 lap course, starting at an athletics track in Bromley. I like multiple lap courses and this one was pleasant enough: mostly road but also a bit of track and a farm with a big dung heap to run round. It was pretty flat too.
The handicap times were calculated from our last 7 road marathons. My avaerage time was 4 hours 21, giving me a start time of 10:09am. It was quite odd to set off alone on a marathon, though I was caught up by the chaps who started at 10:10 after a couple of miles. By the third lap there were plenty of us out on the course so it felt a little more sociable.
There was a lovely atmosphere despite the cold (though it was sunny with only a hint of sleet for a short while), with lots of friendly, familiar faces. I'm not sure of my final time, but it was a bit faster than my average, which seemed like a good start to the year. The medal has the 100 Club logo on it and really looking forward to being able to wear the 100 club gear, hopefully in May.

No comments:

Post a Comment