Sunday 23 May 2010

White Heat

It's getting far too hot for running! I did the White Peak marathon yesterday, which follows the Tissington and High Peak trails in Derbyshire, to finish at Cromford, near Matlock. It started at 11am, which is late enough that it's easy to get there by public transport, but has the major disadvantage of causing us to run through the hottest part of the day. Which yesterday happened to be around 26 degrees. And there's very little in the way of trees or other cover to provide shelter from the rays.

I planned to take it easy as I'm not sure how much my legs have recovered from the 10 in 10. Also I'm officially tapering for GUCR. I decided that since I'm stronger and less fat than last time I ran a hot marathon, this time I wouldn't have to wilt into slow motion. I just about convinced myself, finishing in a sweaty but respectable 4:05:45. I've decided to call that a 26-degrees-PB.
As usual there was a high turnout of all the regulars, including a good dollop of both Fetchies and 100 club folk. Great to see them all. Plus I found out that I'd been voted 'member of the month' on Fetch. Shiny.

So I guess now I should just take it easy for the next few days, in preparation for setting off from Birmingham in the early hours of Saturday morning, with the aim of reaching Paddington some time on Sunday...

1 comment:

  1. I don't think I would ever describe you as 'fat' at all! Not unless it was an acronym for 'f-ing amazing time'. I can't believe you ran in this heat only a week after the 10 in 10. You're superhuman.

    ReplyDelete